Thursday 21 May 2009

The joy of trading

Last summer I attended a needle binding class at Borre Viking market. After a bit of trouble and messing about I got the hang of it and really started enjoying it. When the class was over I showed my friend Rina (beautiful name, isn't it?) a pair of socks that I'd made and she asked me if I could make her a bag for her camera and that I could have one of her ceramic cups in return. So I said yes and a couple of weeks later at a different market we traded bag for cup.

So here's the bag in the colours of Rina's choice. It actually matches her hair aswell! I know that it's a little uneven and that the design is not optimal but keep in mind that it was my very first attempt at anything other than a sock.

The yarn used for this is rather thick wool and I'll be posting a piccie of my needle rather soon.

And here we have the cup I got in return. I really really love it and the reason why it's looking a little icky around the top is because it's been my regular coffee cup for several months and you try to get coffee stains out of un-glazed ceramic.

I'll be talking more about needle binding later on, but if you want to read more right now go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A5lebinding and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment